Saturday, May 3, 2008

Sunflower Cakes & Cupcakes

I wanted to bake a cake for Easter, but I wanted it to be something unexpected - no bunnies or eggs. I decided sunflowers would be very spring like. A quick Google search found Debbie Weaver's instructions for making sunflowers for decorating cupcakes or cakes. I baked an 8" three-layer yellow pound cake, filled with Bavarian cream. I frosted it with buttercream and followed her instructions and this was the final product. I used dark chocolate cocoa powder to help achieve the dark brown color of the seeds. The great thing was that it tasted as good as it looked. Once I convinced everyone it was OK to cut it, they devoured it! You can click here to view all of my sunflower cake and cupcake photos.

A friend of mine, Robin, saw my first sunflower cake pictures and asked if I would decorate a cake for her mother's birthday party. She brought me two 9" round lemon-flavored cakes. I torted them and filled them with lemon curd. I frosted them in a lemon-cream cheese frosting. I used buttercream for the flowers. You can click here to see all the photos.














Robin's sister-in-law, Sam, loves sunflowers. I had to bake some cakes the following Sunday, one of which was a sunflower cake for a friend and co-worker, Debbie. So I used the extra cake batter to make cupcakes for Sam. Debbie's cake was a square lemon cake. I filled it and frosted it with lemon buttercream frosting. It was a belated Administration Professionals Appreciation day cake.

4 comments:

gabridarj said...

Are you interested in baking?! Join the best Baking Classes in Chennai and do your cake which gives more happiness to you.
Baking Classes in Chennai
Baking Courses in Chennai
Online Cake Delivery in Chennai

WriterRose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WriterRose said...

The idea itself interesting. I like sunflowers and now seeing you sharing about sunflower cakes makes me bake one .Like your idea there are many ideas are teaching by the cake classes in Chennai
.If you have a curiosity in baking, visit them once.

Clementine said...

I know sunflower cakes are very tastier and will become famous from my learning days in baking institute in Chennai.The cupcakes are my favorite. Your post remembered the taste of it. Thank you!